Head of the orchestra
I see “Trumpet” as a very professional collective capable of performing the most sophisticated music of various styles. I would see it moving in this direction, taking on ambitious scores and disrupting the still resilient stereotype that wind band music is only meant for marching on street parades or greeting state guests at airports, said Antanas Kučinskas (b. 1968), who became the head of Trimitas.
- 1993 – completed composition studies at the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theater (lecturer Prof. Vytautas Barkauskas)
- 1991-1999 – teacher of contemporary music history at Vilnius Conservatoire (now Juozas Tallat-Kelpša Conservatoire, Vilnius)
- 2001 – defended doctoral dissertation “Principles of Composition in the Works of Lithuanian Contemporary Composers”
- 1993–2013 – sound director, musical director at the Lithuanian National Drama Theater
- since 2007 – lecturer at Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theater (since 2014 – professor)
- 2018 – Internship at Rhode Island College, US Gov. Fulbright Scholarship
- From 2018 – Head of the State Wind Orchestra Trimitas
Most know Kučinskas as a composer. He has composed music for more than thirty drama performances, motion pictures and has authored works for orchestra, solo instruments, vocals, choir and other genres of opuses. The composer’s music is performed at various festivals in Lithuania and abroad.
Music for theater is a very important part of A. Kučinska‘s work. Having worked at the National Drama Theater for twenty years, the composer has been making music for professional theater productions every year, and has collaborated with directors Jonas Vaitkus, Gintaras Varnas, Birutė Mar, Oskaras Koršunovas and others.
A. Kučinskas is known by the younger Lithuanian audience as the creator of children’s operas: he was awarded the Golden Stage Cross by the Potato Tale (2006) and the Golden Stage Cross by the Macaroni Opera (2013) and “Star Opera” (2016), staged at Klaipėda State Musical Theater.
A. Kučinskas combines his creative work with organizational and managerial work – he has organized music theory conferences, for many years he has been managing the New Music Communication Center in the field of artistic creation and interpretation, audio recording and book publishing. Since 2018 took over the position of Trimitas manager.
Under A. Kučinskas’ Trimitas, he renewed his programs paying more attention to concert music programs, theatrical productions and cooperation with famous Lithuanian and foreign artists (pianist Peter Genius, cellist Vytautas Sondeckis, percussion ensemble Giunter percussion), conductor Alexander Shimel, Leif Karlsson (Sweden), Kenneth Amis, (USA), directed by B. Mar et al.