In seeing the growing ambition to become a full-fledged orchestra that upholds international performance standards, I will aim to use my experience and competences to develop a modern orchestral sound and sound aesthetics. My long-standing work with Scandinavian orchestras, has enabled me to establish a wide network of international partners. This will support the impetus to include the Trimitas ensemble in the world’s brass band festivals, which will open up the opportunity to collaborate with the world’s most renowned contemporary composers and soloists. By presenting innovative programmes, we will aim to broaden our audience and attract the attention of authoritative critics. I believe that my experience will be a positive incentive in shaping the long-term artistic direction of the orchestra,’ Artistic Director and Chief Conductor Leif Karlsson shared his ideas.
Key professional activities:
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music, having conducted over 250 world premieres
- In 1978, together with various artists, he founded the world-renowned percussion ensemble Kroumata, which has been active for more than 30 years and has toured 43 countries, 600 cities and recorded 19 albums.
- As a member of Kroumata, his collaborations have included, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the symphony orchestras of Berlin, Singapore, Gothenburg, Iceland, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra.
- He has worked with various Scandinavian orchestras, including, Wermland Opera, Förvarets Musikkorps, Jönköpings Sinfonietta, Västerås Sinfonietta, and Bodö Sinfonietta.
- With the Uppsala Blåsarsymfoniker orchestra, he won a gold medal at the World Championship for Wind Orchestras.
- He has been the Artistic Director of the Norrbotten Youth Symphony Orchestra since 1991 and Artistic Director of the Uppsala Wind Symphony Orchestra since 2014.